Skip to main content

New Beginnings

As some of you know, this week I started attending Portland State University to pursue a Bachelor's Degree in Public Health. I must admit that this sort of thing is about a hundred miles out of my comfort zone. At first I was fascinated at the idea of attending a big school with so many people and a new environment, but as time got closer to the beginning of the school year I became more anxious and worried about starting school. I was afraid of being surrounded with so many people that do not have the same worldview as I do and people who are not afraid to be outspoken about a worldview that contradicts everything that God has determined to be good. I was afraid of the overwhelming homework I might face and genuinely concerned that somehow this path would fail me. Some of these fears were rational because when I came to the campus, my perception of the type of people that would be there was correct. It just too easy to notice how different everyone is from me. The weirdness standard is much higher- on Tuesday I saw a man walking his pig on campus as if it was a normal and socially acceptable thing to do.. I mean... why wouldn't you just have a pet pig in an urban and heavily populated area like that? But my experience hasn't all been drenched with fear. I was glad to meet my professors and get a start on what I am going to be learning this quarter. The material is fascinating and I notice that my 2 hour lectures feel like 30 minute ones because I am so interested in what we are talking about. The more I learn the more confident I become in Public Health as a career choice. One insecurity that I still have is that I don't know a single person who goes to PSU. I am not a shy person but I also am not confident enough to just come up to people and act like we have been life long friends. It is difficult to have a lunch break and not have anyone there to talk to or hang out with after class. At this point making friends seems like an impossible and daunting task because it doesn't seem like there are any Christians around me. Pray for me to find a Christian community amongst this very strange group of people that I go to school with. I hope your school experience is going well. Please feel free to write to me or comment with your opinions or suggestions; I would love to know that I am not the only one who goes through these kinds of things. Have a blessed rest of your week :)


Popular posts from this blog

Playlist

Writing research papers is no easy task. It requires lots of snacks, breaks, and temporary moments of sheer insanity- the most important thing though?- An awesome playlist.  Lately I have been favoring RATATAT.  Simply because I work best under pressure and their music makes me feel anxious and gives me a good boost of adrenaline. I know that's not healthy in the long run- but for writing extensive essays, it will do.  Click Here for what I've been listening to endlessly for about 3 days now

Doubt

This week I have been reflecting on where I am in my life and my level of contentment and confidence in what I am doing. I am in a CS Lewis book club where we are reading Screwtape Letters and it has caused me to be more aware of which thoughts the devil puts into my head and how hard he works to tear me down. I have exactly the life that I pictured I would and the life that I wanted and planned for. Along the way I had a lot of hardships, but ultimately God still gave me what I wanted. What is baffling for me is that the devil can give me so much doubt and discontentment even in situations that I know are right for my life. I realized that there won't be a moment in my life where I will be perfectly content and be absolutely happy about every aspect in my life- not without a fight at least. Reading this book has showed me how actively I have to fight every day to stay alert and listen to the voice of God and tell myself truth instead of listening to the lies that the devil tries ...

Bucket List

Ride in a Hot Air Balloon